Biggest Massage Oriented Forums on the Planet - Massage.forum | MassagePlanet.net | Massage.live | Massage.chat

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with Cover Letter to Salons/Spa/Etc

Dizzay.com

Reaction score
This is my cover letter that I am writing to send out to salons, spas, massage centers, etc to let them know that I took the test (might wait until after Friday because I might know by then) and have passed and I am available to work. I am including my education background, any CEUs I've taken and a bit about my field experience. And then I'm ending it with what I plan to do next, which is become certified in Prenatal which is in March, and also give each salon/spa a call in the next few days, following when I email this out.

I also am personalizing it for each salon/spa with their info and a little bit about why I would be an asset and would enjoy working there. I feel like I am missing an intro statement, so that is missing right now. Instead I have my first paragraph explaining that I have a BA and was then laid off in 2008 and went to school for MT in 2009. I don't know if that shouldn't be there, but everyone always asked what I've been doing, and I think it might be of importance to mention that I already have a BA?

Please give me some feedback :)

"Salon Name
Salon Address Date

Salon Contact,

Hello, I have

I have a B.A. in graphic design from the University of Dayton. After graduating in 2006 I worked with a few businesses in marketing and design. In 2008 I was laid off due to a decline in the automotive industry. In October 2009 I went back to school at Healing Arts Institute in Perrysburg for Massage Therapy. In October 2010 I graduated from the program on the Dean’s List and in December I took the State Medical Board Exam.

As I anxiously await my results I wanted to let know that I am available for work as soon as I am licensed. I have read about your salon and think I would enjoy working there and be an asset to your team.

As a student at Healing Arts I studied Anatomy under Patti West, RN, LMT as well as some massage techniques. I have taken 7 CEUs with Natural Options Aromatherapy Seminar and 6 CEUs with William Mitchell, PTA, LMT for a Myofascial Release Therapy Seminar.

I have participated in 25.5 hours of field experience during the last 6 months of my massage therapy program. I have given massages to benefit the NAOMI Women’s shelter and the IMPACT Guatemala mission trip. I have given chair massages for employee appreciation days as well as clothes-on massages to women at the Devlac Hall Rehabilitation Center. I enjoyed all the work I and exceeded the 20 hours needed to graduate from the program.

My next step once I have received my results is to become certified in Prenatal massage with Nurturing the Mother Pregnancy Massage with Claire Marie Miller. This seminar is coming up in March.

I will also be following up this letter with a phone call to speak with you and hopefully arrange a time I can come in and meet with you and maybe discuss an opportunity to work with you.

Thank you "[/quote]

//

Options:

BBCode is ON

is ON

[flash] is OFF

[url] is ON

Smilies are ON

Disable BBCode

Disable smilies

Do not automatically parse URLs

Attach a signature (signatures can be altered via the UCP)

Notify me when a reply is posted

//

Upload attachment

If you wish to attach one or more files enter the details below.

Filename

File comment

Topic review - Help with Cover Letter to Salons/Spa/Etc

Author

pear2apple

Post subject: 
Re: Help with Cover Letter to Salons/Spa/Etc

Yeah, its a no. She said she doesn't want to overhire and found a LMT, Nail Tech, and esthetitician all in one. So she's going with that girl instead.I had another interview Friday and it was one of the weirdest things. This guy is literally from China, and the company is China based. Its called QuZi Weight Loss. There are 400 centers in China and that happened in 7 years, they are widely popular there and use a natural approach to weight loss.Should I choose to accept the offer, I would be a Weight Loss Practicioner as well as a Massage Therapist. My job as Weight Loss Practicioner would be to spend about 20mins or so with my clients and use acupressure and Trigger Points with these little stones to increase their Basal Metabolic Rates to increase their weight loss. I don't know if it works...I assume it affects somewhat, but of course you need more than just that to do it. So I do that, then I also would give hour massages to people who have that in their weight loss program.There is a week of training for the acupressure and stones. I'm unsure what kind of training this will be and what it means after, if this is a real certification or just a in-company training program.The center is open 7 days a week. Mon-Sat 10am-9pm, and Sun 10-6pm (or something like that). I would work 10 hours a day, 4 days a week- if I chose to work full time.The pay is really what bothers me. Everything else I am intrigued by and the idea of getting more training while I am being paid is nice. The base pay (when I am a Weight Loss Practicioner) is $8/hr. When I give massages its $16/hr and the massages are full 60mins. On average he says they have 7 clients a day. And I would be there whether or not I have a client.....when I don't have a client he said I could train or answer phones. I have a feeling the majority of my time will be spent with the stones, not doing massages.The real question is....can I ask for higher pay? I would prefer the base pay was $10/hr. I could deal with the $16/hr then because I really don't think I will be doing so many massages. I would of course like it to jump to $20/hr because this is fairly low on the pay scale. If its a set 4 days a week, same days every week, that would be fine. Then I could work 2 or 3 days a week on my own. I already have an office that has offered me a space. Its just the clients I need to find and need to find out the days/times I could have the space and work out renting/per massage. I think I could really do that. I really do know lots of people...my Mom's work people, my Dad's work people, my boyfriend's family, my Dad's wife's family (who get massages monthly!), I volunteer at the zoo...etc. I was thinking maybe I could make postcards and then walk door-to-door around my neighborhood and introduce myself and give them the card and include a discount for their first time seeing me! Wouldn't that be great?! I still need to design my own business cards...I hate doing this. It really can be an identity crisis, there's so many design ideas I like, but I need to remember fun needs to be professional too! I'm a graphic design so I'm doing all my stuff myself. Plus I did another woman's business cards from my massage class, I'm also going to do postcards for her and another girl in my class. At least I have some side jobs or backup!Anyway, I'm currently bringing in $0 so I need this job. Which I will most likely take....however I don't know anything about negotiating money. This guy literally was like 'ok made up my mind, I want you to work here' after like 15mins. I'm quiet and not always as bubbly and intelligent as I should be. My first interview was just a fluke I think!

Yeah, its a no. She said she doesn't want to overhire and found a LMT, Nail Tech, and esthetitician all in one. So she's going with that girl instead.I had another interview Friday and it was one of the weirdest things. This guy is literally from China, and the company is China based. Its called QuZi Weight Loss. There are 400 centers in China and that happened in 7 years, they are widely popular there and use a natural approach to weight loss.Should I choose to accept the offer, I would be a Weight Loss Practicioner as well as a Massage Therapist. My job as Weight Loss Practicioner would be to spend about 20mins or so with my clients and use acupressure and Trigger Points with these little stones to increase their Basal Metabolic Rates to increase their weight loss. I don't know if it works...I assume it affects somewhat, but of course you need more than just that to do it. So I do that, then I also would give hour massages to people who have that in their weight loss program.There is a week of training for the acupressure and stones. I'm unsure what kind of training this will be and what it means after, if this is a real certification or just a in-company training program.The center is open 7 days a week. Mon-Sat 10am-9pm, and Sun 10-6pm (or something like that). I would work 10 hours a day, 4 days a week- if I chose to work full time.The pay is really what bothers me. Everything else I am intrigued by and the idea of getting more training while I am being paid is nice. The base pay (when I am a Weight Loss Practicioner) is $8/hr. When I give massages its $16/hr and the massages are full 60mins. On average he says they have 7 clients a day. And I would be there whether or not I have a client.....when I don't have a client he said I could train or answer phones. I have a feeling the majority of my time will be spent with the stones, not doing massages.The real question is....can I ask for higher pay? I would prefer the base pay was $10/hr. I could deal with the $16/hr then because I really don't think I will be doing so many massages. I would of course like it to jump to $20/hr because this is fairly low on the pay scale. If its a set 4 days a week, same days every week, that would be fine. Then I could work 2 or 3 days a week on my own. I already have an office that has offered me a space. Its just the clients I need to find and need to find out the days/times I could have the space and work out renting/per massage. I think I could really do that. I really do know lots of people...my Mom's work people, my Dad's work people, my boyfriend's family, my Dad's wife's family (who get massages monthly!), I volunteer at the zoo...etc. I was thinking maybe I could make postcards and then walk door-to-door around my neighborhood and introduce myself and give them the card and include a discount for their first time seeing me! Wouldn't that be great?! I still need to design my own business cards...I hate doing this. It really can be an identity crisis, there's so many design ideas I like, but I need to remember fun needs to be professional too! I'm a graphic design so I'm doing all my stuff myself. Plus I did another woman's business cards from my massage class, I'm also going to do postcards for her and another girl in my class. At least I have some side jobs or backup!Anyway, I'm currently bringing in $0 so I need this job. Which I will most likely take....however I don't know anything about negotiating money. This guy literally was like 'ok made up my mind, I want you to work here' after like 15mins. I'm quiet and not always as bubbly and intelligent as I should be. My first interview was just a fluke I think!

Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:08 am

JLWmassage

Post subject: 

So did you hear back from the salon owner yet?

So did you hear back from the salon owner yet?

Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:53 am

maestra

Post subject: 

Congratulations pear2apple!!!

Congratulations pear2apple!!!

Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:27 pm

pueppi

Post subject: 

Congratulations.

Congratulations. :)

Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:50 am

pear2apple

Post subject: 

I got my results! I PASSED

I got my results! I PASSED

Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:07 am

pear2apple

Post subject: 

Ha thanks for the advice! I just got back from my interview, it lasted about 2 hours! Thats the longest interview I ever had, where it didn't feel like I was on the spot, uncomfortable or otherwise doing a horrible job! It went amazing!I actually didn't do that, she asked and then from then out I treated her like a client. So while I didn't start it like that, I ended it like that and she told me I was "very professional" which of course I was so happy to hear! She said that over the phone and when she first met me, she thought I was very introverted and quiet (because I can be) and she was so nervous it wouldn't work out! Then once I stepped into the massage room, she said she was very impressed. That I was intelligent, articulate, sociable, knew how to work the muscles and was very thorough, knew when to talk and when to shut up. She said my pressure was great, we talked about muscles in the body during the massage and why a 'butt massage' feels so good! She didn't have any area of improvement for me, she just really liked the massage! And me!We talked about promotions, because the MT they have now, only works nights, is on commission and refuses to get paid less than $30 per massage. So the owner can't add this MT to any of her specials, packages, or promotions! So its a real bummer for the clientele- not too mention the owner. I told her that I think coupons and promotions are so important and I personally think going out to the other stylists and giving mini hand massages to their clients while they get their hair done is a great advertising plan! This salon has 2 pedicure chairs, at least 10 tanning rooms (beds/booths), about 6 hair stylist stations, about 4 manicure desks, and 1 massage room and 1 aesthetic room. They sell nail polish, hair products and handmade jewelry. The owner said most people there are on commission or rent booths, but she is trying to move some things toward employees. Really I'm open to either commission or employee, depending on the benefits. Also, she provides clients, marketing, promotions, supplies, pretty much everything! That alone is a relief to me! I think I could get some clients, but I would really be depending on her for the most clients.Theres more I wanted to ask, but we kept talking about other stuff, like food and recipes, and local events, and how today is my birthday which led to the food conversation! lol It was great, it was so easy talking to her. And the massage room was nice, they had a cool dimmer switch that I really liked. A sink in the room with cabinets. ha! She even told me she likes to get massages and be totally naked, but when she does interviews she doesn't wanna freak out the therapist so instead she wears her skimpiest underwear! omg That just cracked me up!So I left and basically she said we are waiting to hear my results and then I get my license, call her, and we'll 'get things set up'. I find that confusing, but I understand she can't say its a definite yet incase something happens. But she did say I'm the only MT she has interviewed. Does that sound like I got it?! I am so PUMPED! I can hardly contain it!

Ha thanks for the advice! I just got back from my interview, it lasted about 2 hours! Thats the longest interview I ever had, where it [i]didn't[/i] feel like I was on the spot, uncomfortable or otherwise doing a horrible job! It went amazing!I actually didn't do that, she asked and then from then out I treated her like a client. So while I didn't start it like that, I ended it like that and she told me I was "very professional" which of course I was so happy to hear! She said that over the phone and when she first met me, she thought I was very introverted and quiet (because I can be) and she was so nervous it wouldn't work out! Then once I stepped into the massage room, she said she was very impressed. That I was intelligent, articulate, sociable, knew how to work the muscles and was very thorough, knew when to talk and when to shut up. She said my pressure was great, we talked about muscles in the body during the massage and why a 'butt massage' feels so good! :lol: She didn't have any area of improvement for me, she just really liked the massage! And me!We talked about promotions, because the MT they have now, only works nights, is on commission and refuses to get paid less than $30 per massage. So the owner can't add this MT to any of her specials, packages, or promotions! So its a real bummer for the clientele- not too mention the owner. I told her that I think coupons and promotions are so important and I personally think going out to the other stylists and giving mini hand massages to their clients while they get their hair done is a great advertising plan! This salon has 2 pedicure chairs, at least 10 tanning rooms (beds/booths), about 6 hair stylist stations, about 4 manicure desks, and 1 massage room and 1 aesthetic room. They sell nail polish, hair products and handmade jewelry. The owner said most people there are on commission or rent booths, but she is trying to move some things toward employees. Really I'm open to either commission or employee, depending on the benefits. Also, she provides clients, marketing, promotions, supplies, pretty much everything! That alone is a relief to me! I think I could get some clients, but I would really be depending on her for the most clients.Theres more I wanted to ask, but we kept talking about other stuff, like food and recipes, and local events, and how today is my birthday which led to the food conversation! lol It was great, it was so easy talking to her. And the massage room was nice, they had a cool dimmer switch that I really liked. A sink in the room with cabinets. ha! She even told me she likes to get massages and be totally naked, but when she does interviews she doesn't wanna freak out the therapist so instead she wears her skimpiest underwear! omg That just cracked me up!So I left and basically she said we are waiting to hear my results and then I get my license, call her, and we'll 'get things set up'. I find that confusing, but I understand she can't say its a definite yet incase something happens. But she did say I'm the only MT she has interviewed. Does that sound like I got it?! I am so PUMPED! I can hardly contain it!

Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:16 pm

tranquilspirit2006

Post subject: 

Here's some advice for you, in case you read this before you go tomorrow! When you go in the treatment room with her to do the massage, treat her like you would a first time client. Ask if she would like to visit the restroom first, tell her where she can hang/put her clothes and stuff, explain or talk a little to her ("please let me know if the pressure is too much or not enough"), tell her how you want her to undress and that you will leave the room while she is doing so, how you want her to lay on the table. When you come back in the room, ask her if she is comfortable, warm enough, is the foot bolster in the right spot, head rest ok? Etc etc etc. Give her the spiel you will give any first time client. This will let her see your professionalism and client interaction as well. I am convinced that doing this gave me an edge when I interviewed back in the day.

Here's some advice for you, in case you read this before you go tomorrow! When you go in the treatment room with her to do the massage, treat her like you would a first time client. Ask if she would like to visit the restroom first, tell her where she can hang/put her clothes and stuff, explain or talk a little to her ("please let me know if the pressure is too much or not enough"), tell her how you want her to undress and that you will leave the room while she is doing so, how you want her to lay on the table. When you come back in the room, ask her if she is comfortable, warm enough, is the foot bolster in the right spot, head rest ok? Etc etc etc. Give her the spiel you will give any first time client. This will let her see your professionalism and client interaction as well. I am convinced that doing this gave me an edge when I interviewed back in the day.

Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:06 pm

pear2apple

Post subject: 

pueppi wrote::)Happy for you. I am still working on my project for you. Things just got crazy here and slowed me down a little. Hope to have it completed by next weeks end.No problem, things got a little crazy for me this week as well!

[quote="pueppi"]:)Happy for you. I am still working on my project for you. Things just got crazy here and slowed me down a little. Hope to have it completed by next weeks end.[/quote]No problem, things got a little crazy for me this week as well!

Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:06 pm

pueppi

Post subject: 

pear2apple wrote:I have an interview on Sunday at a salon. She knows I don't have my license yet. Its going to be a talking interview followed by a hands-on massage. I plan to wear khakis and a short sleeve shirt with a sweater over it. Then I can just take off the sweater to work I'm pretty excited Happy for you. I am still working on my project for you. Things just got crazy here and slowed me down a little. Hope to have it completed by next weeks end.

[quote="pear2apple"]I have an interview on Sunday :) at a salon. She knows I don't have my license yet. Its going to be a talking interview followed by a hands-on massage. I plan to wear khakis and a short sleeve shirt with a sweater over it. Then I can just take off the sweater to work :)I'm pretty excited :)[/quote]:)Happy for you. I am still working on my project for you. Things just got crazy here and slowed me down a little. Hope to have it completed by next weeks end.

Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:45 pm

pear2apple

Post subject: 

I have an interview on Sunday at a salon. She knows I don't have my license yet. Its going to be a talking interview followed by a hands-on massage. I plan to wear khakis and a short sleeve shirt with a sweater over it. Then I can just take off the sweater to work I'm pretty excited

I have an interview on Sunday :) at a salon. She knows I don't have my license yet. Its going to be a talking interview followed by a hands-on massage. I plan to wear khakis and a short sleeve shirt with a sweater over it. Then I can just take off the sweater to work :)I'm pretty excited :)

Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:42 pm

pear2apple

Post subject: 

pueppi wrote:I plan to send you a PM by Tuesday (Jan. 18) with with a hefty chunk of usable/readable info regarding the "Interview Process". Most of it you will of course already know, but maybe it will provide some item you didn't think about. Thank you! I'm excited to get some info! We weren't prepared before we left school for interviews. Our "business" class was hardly helpful. They didn't even tell us where to purchase our business license! So yeah, I'm a little clueless how to go about this.

[quote="pueppi"]I plan to send you a PM by Tuesday (Jan. 18) with with a hefty chunk of usable/readable info regarding the "Interview Process". Most of it you will of course already know, but maybe it will provide some item you didn't think about. :)[/quote]Thank you! I'm excited to get some info! We weren't prepared before we left school for interviews. Our "business" class was hardly helpful. They didn't even tell us where to purchase our business license! So yeah, I'm a little clueless how to go about this.

Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:31 am

pueppi

Post subject: 

Quote:OK, so the Medical Board didn't get our results in time to make the decision, so now we need to wait until February 11th or so until we know if we passed. What should I do now? I was going to wait if I knew within the next few days, but now I won't know for another month. So does it sound like a waste of time to turn this in to them even though I have another month?I've called 2 places, 1 place wants to see my resume and then bring me in to see the place and talk, the other place wants to talk to me after I get my results. I don't know if its worth doing anything now or if I should just wait this next month til I get my results! This is so frustrating.I would consider: Re-working the cover letter to be brief and provide your resume. Put a nice business card together with your name, phone number and e-mail on it - attach it to this information with a paperclip. Then, walk-in to the places who don't have MT's on staff and drop off the info, stating that you are interested in proposing a meeting about working in their facility (since they don't have an MT). Let them know you are awaiting the results from your test which should be in by Feb 15, since the board did not recieve the information from the testing company on time. I believe this is useful at this point, because it would give both parties a full month to talk about what may be a workable situation and the potential employer is aware of a concrete date and is aware of the reason which produced the timing issues. The potential employer won't be "wondering" abstractly about what's going on with your side of things. Negotiations with businesses can take a while anyway. This can be associated with a positive process.Then wait to see what happens. If they don't call or make contact, follow up with them again with your complete package once you get your license.I probably would not drop off my resume to the business that already has massage therapists until you get your license.once you find out you have passed and have your license. There's nothing worse then that business wanting you now and you having to tell them "I can't". This could lead to the business associating you with an "I can't" mentality when they think about calling you again. You don't want to increase the potential for there to be a negative process or thought pattern associated with your name.Those are my general thoughts. Maybe someone else wil see it in a different light.I plan to send you a PM by Tuesday (Jan. 18) with with a hefty chunk of usable/readable info regarding the "Interview Process". Most of it you will of course already know, but maybe it will provide some item you didn't think about.

[quote]OK, so the Medical Board didn't get our results in time to make the decision, so now we need to wait until February 11th or so until we know if we passed. What should I do now? I was going to wait if I knew within the next few days, but now I won't know for another month. So does it sound like a waste of time to turn this in to them even though I have another month?I've called 2 places, 1 place wants to see my resume and then bring me in to see the place and talk, the other place wants to talk to me after I get my results. I don't know if its worth doing anything now or if I should just wait this next month til I get my results! This is so frustrating.[/quote]I would [i]consider[/i]: Re-working the cover letter to be brief and provide your resume. Put a nice business card together with your name, phone number and e-mail on it - attach it to this information with a paperclip. Then, walk-in to the places who don't have MT's on staff and drop off the info, stating that you are interested in proposing a meeting about working in their facility (since they don't have an MT). Let them know you are awaiting the results from your test which should be in by Feb 15, since the board did not recieve the information from the testing company on time. I believe this is useful at this point, because it would give both parties a full month to talk about what may be a workable situation and the potential employer is aware of a concrete date and is aware of the reason which produced the timing issues. The potential employer won't be "wondering" abstractly about what's going on with your side of things. Negotiations with businesses can take a while anyway. This can be associated with a positive process.Then wait to see what happens. If they don't call or make contact, follow up with them again with your complete package once you get your license.[i]I probably would not drop off my resume to the business that already has massage therapists until you get your license.once you find out you have passed and have your license. There's nothing worse then that business wanting you [u]now[/u] and you having to tell them "I can't". This could lead to the business associating you with an "I can't" mentality when they think about calling you again. You don't want to increase the potential for there to be a negative process or thought pattern associated with your name.[/i]Those are my general thoughts. Maybe someone else wil see it in a different light.I plan to send you a PM by Tuesday (Jan. 18) with with a hefty chunk of usable/readable info regarding the "Interview Process". Most of it you will of course already know, but maybe it will provide some item you didn't think about. :)

Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:14 am

pear2apple

Post subject: 

tranquilspirit2006 wrote:If these are local spas, you can hand carry your resume to them. That's what I did when I got out of school, because none of them were advertising at the time for MTs (but hey, you never know!) I was able to walk in and give the owner/manager/front desk person a big smile and say "I just graduated from massage school and I just wanted to drop off my resume to you!" Out of the 6 places I dropped it off (again, none advertising), I got 3 interviews, did 3 massages on owners and got 3 job offers. I lucked out big time. Wait 'til you have that license or at least a license number, in case they check. We've had a couple people apply with us, go through the whole interview process and then we found out online that their licenses lapsed. Because you are now in a regulated and licensed profession, you need to have that information available to any potential employers. Just like an RN, a hospital doesn't want to know they're waiting for their license, they need to be licensed at the time of application. Thanks so much for all your feedback, very thorough So only 1 of the places I am dropping off my resume/letter have advertised that they are looking for MTs. I have about 30 places I am 'applying' to because there are many salons/spas in the area that I would enjoy working at. Then theres about 10 places that don't have MTs that I'm going to talk to too.OK, so the Medical Board didn't get our results in time to make the decision, so now we need to wait until February 11th or so until we know if we passed. What should I do now? I was going to wait if I knew within the next few days, but now I won't know for another month. So does it sound like a waste of time to turn this in to them even though I have another month?I've called 2 places, 1 place wants to see my resume and then bring me in to see the place and talk, the other place wants to talk to me after I get my results. I don't know if its worth doing anything now or if I should just wait this next month til I get my results! This is so frustrating.

[quote="tranquilspirit2006"]If these are local spas, you can hand carry your resume to them. That's what I did when I got out of school, because none of them were advertising at the time for MTs (but hey, you never know!) I was able to walk in and give the owner/manager/front desk person a big smile and say "I just graduated from massage school and I just wanted to drop off my resume to you!" Out of the 6 places I dropped it off (again, none advertising), I got 3 interviews, did 3 massages on owners and got 3 job offers. :) I lucked out big time. Wait 'til you have that license or at least a license number, in case they check. We've had a couple people apply with us, go through the whole interview process and then we found out online that their licenses lapsed. Because you are now in a regulated and licensed profession, you need to have that information available to any potential employers. Just like an RN, a hospital doesn't want to know they're waiting for their license, they need to be licensed at the time of application. [/quote]Thanks so much for all your feedback, very thorough :)So only 1 of the places I am dropping off my resume/letter have advertised that they are looking for MTs. I have about 30 places I am 'applying' to because there are many salons/spas in the area that I would enjoy working at. Then theres about 10 places that don't have MTs that I'm going to talk to too.OK, so the Medical Board didn't get our results in time to make the decision, so now we need to wait until February 11th or so until we know if we passed. What should I do now? I was going to wait if I knew within the next few days, but now I won't know for another month. So does it sound like a waste of time to turn this in to them even though I have another month?I've called 2 places, 1 place wants to see my resume and then bring me in to see the place and talk, the other place wants to talk to me after I get my results. I don't know if its worth doing anything now or if I should just wait this next month til I get my results! This is so frustrating.

Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:21 pm

tranquilspirit2006

Post subject: 

If these are local spas, you can hand carry your resume to them. That's what I did when I got out of school, because none of them were advertising at the time for MTs (but hey, you never know!) I was able to walk in and give the owner/manager/front desk person a big smile and say "I just graduated from massage school and I just wanted to drop off my resume to you!" Out of the 6 places I dropped it off (again, none advertising), I got 3 interviews, did 3 massages on owners and got 3 job offers. I lucked out big time. Wait 'til you have that license or at least a license number, in case they check. We've had a couple people apply with us, go through the whole interview process and then we found out online that their licenses lapsed. Because you are now in a regulated and licensed profession, you need to have that information available to any potential employers. Just like an RN, a hospital doesn't want to know they're waiting for their license, they need to be licensed at the time of application. Your cover letter should be a brief letter, just a few paragraphs about you, why you want to work there and what you have to offer them. Sell yourself, baby! Include your massage school, license and experience. Highlight just how you can be beneficial to them, you want them drooling to hire you! And yes, include some customer service skills you have. "In addition to practical massage experience, I also have had the opportunity to work with the public in a number of settings. I enjoy meeting new people and in making their experience at my business a pleasurable one for them." Something like that. You're in a high-public service business now, so any potential employer is going to want to know that you've had some experience with people. Massage is only one facet of being a sucessful MT. If you've had sales experience, mention that too, since part of working at a spa is upselling some services or retail, or convincing people to come back regularly for massage, or a scrub. In your actual resume, that's where you want to list your schools and dates of attendance, jobs, volunteer work etc, in chronological order, starting with the most recent. I totally understand the credit card issue but you also don't want huge gaps of time where you didnt' work or do something, in your resume. Employers are very restricted legally as to what they can tell someone who is calling, basically they can say yes, she worked here in this position from such and such dates. Large corporations are aware of the legalities and aren't going to get in the details of 'she didn't get enough cc apps." You can close your cover letter with "Attached is my resume" and "I look forward to hearing from you, signed Jane Doe". You can call to verify that they received your resume, but you should let them call to set up the interview.

If these are local spas, you can hand carry your resume to them. That's what I did when I got out of school, because none of them were advertising at the time for MTs (but hey, you never know!) I was able to walk in and give the owner/manager/front desk person a big smile and say "I just graduated from massage school and I just wanted to drop off my resume to you!" Out of the 6 places I dropped it off (again, none advertising), I got 3 interviews, did 3 massages on owners and got 3 job offers. :) I lucked out big time. Wait 'til you have that license or at least a license number, in case they check. We've had a couple people apply with us, go through the whole interview process and then we found out online that their licenses lapsed. Because you are now in a regulated and licensed profession, you need to have that information available to any potential employers. Just like an RN, a hospital doesn't want to know they're waiting for their license, they need to be licensed at the time of application. Your cover letter should be a brief letter, just a few paragraphs about you, why you want to work there and what you have to offer them. Sell yourself, baby! Include your massage school, license and experience. Highlight just how you can be beneficial to them, you want them drooling to hire you! And yes, include some customer service skills you have. "In addition to practical massage experience, I also have had the opportunity to work with the public in a number of settings. I enjoy meeting new people and in making their experience at my business a pleasurable one for them." Something like that. You're in a high-public service business now, so any potential employer is going to want to know that you've had some experience with people. Massage is only one facet of being a sucessful MT. If you've had sales experience, mention that too, since part of working at a spa is upselling some services or retail, or convincing people to come back regularly for massage, or a scrub. In your actual resume, that's where you want to list your schools and dates of attendance, jobs, volunteer work etc, in chronological order, starting with the most recent. I totally understand the credit card issue but you also don't want huge gaps of time where you didnt' work or do something, in your resume. Employers are very restricted legally as to what they can tell someone who is calling, basically they can say yes, she worked here in this position from such and such dates. Large corporations are aware of the legalities and aren't going to get in the details of 'she didn't get enough cc apps." You can close your cover letter with "Attached is my resume" and "I look forward to hearing from you, signed Jane Doe". You can call to verify that they received your resume, but you should let them call to set up the interview.

Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:21 pm

naturalhealing

Post subject: 

I would not put things from your resume in your cover letter. I would introduce myself, my availability, and why you want to work at their spa.

I would not put things from your resume in your cover letter. I would introduce myself, my availability, and why you want to work at their spa.

Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:19 am

pear2apple

Post subject: 

pueppi wrote:you might want to consider going ahead and waiting until after you find out if you have passed, since you'll know within the next two days. I agree it would be best to wait until after I find out my results. Honestly, my Mom has been giving me slack about doing so little before I get my results! But why not just wait? Anyway, I'm telling my Mom 3 people, one a hiring manager, has said its better to just wait! Thanks MarionFM wrote:People who are looking at resumes are busy people and you have to grab their attention immediately.I don't think they will care about your degree or that you were laid off. I agree with Pueppi that you should wait until you know you have passed and then I would start with something like:I didn't know if they would care I got laid off, but perhaps my BA would make a difference. I was on the fence about that. Of course, I AM sending my resume with this as well, which includes my education background and my last position before I started going back to school.Thank you for the revised letter. I write like I talk unfortunately, so its not so professional but in person I guess I come across as friendly and down-to-earth, because apparently someone likes my personality like that! I do very much appreciate your version!tranquilspirit2006 wrote:Just as a former hiring manager, I wouldn't say you will be calling them to set up an interview. They will call you if they are interested, once they get that letter, the ball is in their court. You don't want to put them on the spot. The other thing is, if you've had any customer service experience (dealing with the public, answering phones, etc), you might want to include a sentence or two about that. Since working at a spa or salon is *all* about the customer, they want to know that the people they're looking at interviewing have some experience with that as well as massage.I was thinking me sending out this letter was my way of not putting them on the spot? Because initially I was just calling places and talking to the owner or whoever answered the phone. There are a few places that don't have email addresses. Would you suggest I use snail-mail instead? I personally feel just popping in isn't the best strategy either, because salon/spa owners are busy, I think its more respectful to call ahead and set up a time instead of just popping in when they might not have time for me. Am I wrong there?I also thought that saying I would call is my first example about how I follow through and I am reliable. No? And I want them to know I am interested and driven, because I am! I've worked at Kohls Department store, however I don't really want to put that if there's any chance they will call and ask about me. I didn't do anything wrong, but the job wasn't a good fit for me because I hardly got any credit apps (how can I push credit cards on someone who is constantly in debt?! -I just can't ask someone to spend more if they can't afford it....HELLO economy's in trouble enough!) and they didn't like how I interacted with customers. I'm not concerned much because I know I can talk with strangers and form bonds with a common interest. In high school I worked at like 1 grocery store, and over summers in college I worked as a cashier at grocery stores and talked to hundreds of customers a week. Do they really care about that stuff? I don't even know how to word that without it sounding ridiculous.Thanks for all the input, I'll take it into account and try again.

[quote="pueppi"]you might want to consider going ahead and waiting until after you find out if you have passed, since you'll know within the next two days. [/quote]I agree it would be best to wait until after I find out my results. Honestly, my Mom has been giving me slack about doing so little [i]before[/i] I get my results! But why not just wait? Anyway, I'm telling my Mom 3 people, one a hiring manager, has said its better to just wait! Thanks ;)[quote="MarionFM"]People who are looking at resumes are busy people and you have to grab their attention immediately.I don't think they will care about your degree or that you were laid off. I agree with Pueppi that you should wait until you know you have passed and then I would start with something like:[/quote]I didn't know if they would care I got laid off, but perhaps my BA would make a difference. I was on the fence about that. Of course, I AM sending my resume with this as well, which includes my education background and my last position before I started going back to school.Thank you for the revised letter. I write like I talk unfortunately, so its not so professional but in person I guess I come across as friendly and down-to-earth, because apparently someone likes my personality like that! :lol: I do very much appreciate your version![quote="tranquilspirit2006"]Just as a former hiring manager, I wouldn't say you will be calling them to set up an interview. They will call you if they are interested, once they get that letter, the ball is in their court. You don't want to put them on the spot. The other thing is, if you've had any customer service experience (dealing with the public, answering phones, etc), you might want to include a sentence or two about that. Since working at a spa or salon is *all* about the customer, they want to know that the people they're looking at interviewing have some experience with that as well as massage.[/quote]I was thinking me sending out this letter was my way of [i]not[/i] putting them on the spot? Because initially I was just calling places and talking to the owner or whoever answered the phone. There are a few places that don't have email addresses. Would you suggest I use snail-mail instead? I personally feel just popping in isn't the best strategy either, because salon/spa owners are busy, I think its more respectful to call ahead and set up a time instead of just popping in when they might not have time for me. Am I wrong there?I also thought that saying I would call is my first example about how I follow through and I am reliable. No? And I want them to know I am interested and driven, because I am! I've worked at Kohls Department store, however I don't really want to put that if there's any chance they will call and ask about me. I didn't do anything wrong, but the job wasn't a good fit for me because I hardly got any credit apps (how can I push credit cards on someone who is constantly in debt?! -I just can't ask someone to spend more if they can't afford it....HELLO economy's in trouble enough!) and they didn't like how I interacted with customers. I'm not concerned much because I know I can talk with strangers and form bonds with a common interest. In high school I worked at like 1 grocery store, and over summers in college I worked as a cashier at grocery stores and talked to hundreds of customers a week. Do they really care about that stuff? I don't even know how to word that without it sounding ridiculous.Thanks for all the input, I'll take it into account and try again. :)

Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:48 pm

tranquilspirit2006

Post subject: 

Just as a former hiring manager, I wouldn't say you will be calling them to set up an interview. They will call you if they are interested, once they get that letter, the ball is in their court. You don't want to put them on the spot. If you do decide to leave that in, take out the 'hopefully' and 'maybe' and just say you would like to call them in a few days to confirm receipt of your resume. The other thing is, if you've had any customer service experience (dealing with the public, answering phones, etc), you might want to include a sentence or two about that. Since working at a spa or salon is *all* about the customer, they want to know that the people they're looking at interviewing have some experience with that as well as massage.(And I agree, since you only have to wait another day or so, wait until you know you passed to send the letter out, since they'll want to know you are actually hirable in this field.)

Just as a former hiring manager, I wouldn't say you will be calling them to set up an interview. They will call you if they are interested, once they get that letter, the ball is in their court. You don't want to put them on the spot. If you do decide to leave that in, take out the 'hopefully' and 'maybe' and just say you would like to call them in a few days to confirm receipt of your resume. The other thing is, if you've had any customer service experience (dealing with the public, answering phones, etc), you might want to include a sentence or two about that. Since working at a spa or salon is *all* about the customer, they want to know that the people they're looking at interviewing have some experience with that as well as massage.(And I agree, since you only have to wait another day or so, wait until you know you passed to send the letter out, since they'll want to know you are actually hirable in this field.)

Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:52 pm

MarionFM

Post subject: 

People who are looking at resumes are busy people and you have to grab their attention immediately.I don't think they will care about your degree or that you were laid off. I agree with Pueppi that you should wait until you know you have passed and then I would start with something like:Quote:I am excited to tell you that I have passed all my exams and am now a . Although I plan to specialize (or, qualify) in prenatal massage down the road, I would love to get some spa (or clinic or salon) experience. Your company has a good reputation and I would like to be associated with it.While in school (if it is a well known or good school, then name it) I was on the Dean's List and I took additional training in aromatherapy (through Natural Options) and myofascial release (through William Mitchell).As part of my course, I have given massages to benefit the NAOMI Women’s shelter (will this be familiar to them?) and the IMPACT Guatemala mission trip. I have given chair massages for employee appreciation days as well as massages to women at the Devlac Hall Rehabilitation Center. I actually did more hours than needed as I enjoyed it so much.The parts in italics are not to be included. This is not the whole letter but might give you an idea. You are selling a product - yourself and your skills. They are buying a product. You have to look good or they won't bite. Think about what they want in a therapist. Make it easy for them to find information that will make them want to hire you.Just a few thoughts - others might have a completely different idea - that is one of the benefits of MassagePlanetL! Good luck.

People who are looking at resumes are busy people and you have to grab their attention immediately.I don't think they will care about your degree or that you were laid off. I agree with Pueppi that you should wait until you know you have passed and then I would start with something like:[quote]I am excited to tell you that I have passed all my exams and am now a [i][/i]. Although I plan to specialize [i](or, qualify)[/i] in prenatal massage down the road, I would love to get some spa [i](or clinic or salon)[/i] experience. Your company has a good reputation and I would like to be associated with it.While in school [i](if it is a well known or good school, then name it)[/i] I was on the Dean's List and I took additional training in aromatherapy (through Natural Options) and myofascial release (through William Mitchell).As part of my course, I have given massages to benefit the NAOMI Women’s shelter ([i]will this be familiar to them?)[/i] and the IMPACT Guatemala mission trip. I have given chair massages for employee appreciation days as well as massages to women at the Devlac Hall Rehabilitation Center. I actually did more hours than needed as I enjoyed it so much.[/quote]The parts in italics are not to be included. This is not the whole letter but might give you an idea. You are selling a product - yourself and your skills. They are buying a product. You have to look good or they won't bite. Think about what they want in a therapist. Make it easy for them to find information that will make them want to hire you.Just a few thoughts - others might have a completely different idea - that is one of the benefits of MassagePlanetL! Good luck.

Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:28 pm

pueppi

Post subject: 

pear2apple wrote:This is my cover letter that I am writing to send out to salons, spas, massage centers, etc to let them know that I took the test (might wait until after Friday because I might know by then) and have passed and I am available to work. Not slighting you, just have small bits of time to respond today.you might want to consider going ahead and waiting until after you find out if you have passed, since you'll know within the next two days. Just my thoughts. Good luck!

[quote="pear2apple"]This is my cover letter that I am writing to send out to salons, spas, massage centers, etc to let them know that I took the test (might wait until after Friday because I might know by then) and have passed and I am available to work. Not slighting you, just have small bits of time to respond today.you might want to consider going ahead and waiting until after you find out if you have passed, since you'll know within the next two days. Just my thoughts. Good luck!

Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:58 pm

pear2apple

Post subject: 
Help with Cover Letter to Salons/Spa/Etc

This is my cover letter that I am writing to send out to salons, spas, massage centers, etc to let them know that I took the test (might wait until after Friday because I might know by then) and have passed and I am available to work. I am including my education background, any CEUs I've taken and a bit about my field experience. And then I'm ending it with what I plan to do next, which is become certified in Prenatal which is in March, and also give each salon/spa a call in the next few days, following when I email this out.I also am personalizing it for each salon/spa with their info and a little bit about why I would be an asset and would enjoy working there. I feel like I am missing an intro statement, so that is missing right now. Instead I have my first paragraph explaining that I have a BA and was then laid off in 2008 and went to school for MT in 2009. I don't know if that shouldn't be there, but everyone always asked what I've been doing, and I think it might be of importance to mention that I already have a BA?Please give me some feedback "Salon NameSalon Address DateSalon Contact,Hello, I have I have a B.A. in graphic design from the University of Dayton. After graduating in 2006 I worked with a few businesses in marketing and design. In 2008 I was laid off due to a decline in the automotive industry. In October 2009 I went back to school at Healing Arts Institute in Perrysburg for Massage Therapy. In October 2010 I graduated from the program on the Dean’s List and in December I took the State Medical Board Exam.As I anxiously await my results I wanted to let know that I am available for work as soon as I am licensed. I have read about your salon and think I would enjoy working there and be an asset to your team. As a student at Healing Arts I studied Anatomy under Patti West, RN, LMT as well as some massage techniques. I have taken 7 CEUs with Natural Options Aromatherapy Seminar and 6 CEUs with William Mitchell, PTA, LMT for a Myofascial Release Therapy Seminar. I have participated in 25.5 hours of field experience during the last 6 months of my massage therapy program. I have given massages to benefit the NAOMI Women’s shelter and the IMPACT Guatemala mission trip. I have given chair massages for employee appreciation days as well as clothes-on massages to women at the Devlac Hall Rehabilitation Center. I enjoyed all the work I and exceeded the 20 hours needed to graduate from the program.My next step once I have received my results is to become certified in Prenatal massage with Nurturing the Mother Pregnancy Massage with Claire Marie Miller. This seminar is coming up in March. I will also be following up this letter with a phone call to speak with you and hopefully arrange a time I can come in and meet with you and maybe discuss an opportunity to work with you.Thank you "

This is my cover letter that I am writing to send out to salons, spas, massage centers, etc to let them know that I took the test (might wait until after Friday because I might know by then) and have passed and I am available to work. I am including my education background, any CEUs I've taken and a bit about my field experience. And then I'm ending it with what I plan to do next, which is become certified in Prenatal which is in March, and also give each salon/spa a call in the next few days, following when I email this out.I also am personalizing it for each salon/spa with their info and a little bit about why I would be an asset and would enjoy working there. I feel like I am missing an intro statement, so that is missing right now. Instead I have my first paragraph explaining that I have a BA and was then laid off in 2008 and went to school for MT in 2009. I don't know if that shouldn't be there, but everyone always asked what I've been doing, and I think it might be of importance to mention that I already have a BA?Please give me some feedback :)"Salon NameSalon Address DateSalon Contact,Hello, I have I have a B.A. in graphic design from the University of Dayton. After graduating in 2006 I worked with a few businesses in marketing and design. In 2008 I was laid off due to a decline in the automotive industry. In October 2009 I went back to school at Healing Arts Institute in Perrysburg for Massage Therapy. In October 2010 I graduated from the program on the Dean’s List and in December I took the State Medical Board Exam.As I anxiously await my results I wanted to let know that I am available for work as soon as I am licensed. I have read about your salon and think I would enjoy working there and be an asset to your team. As a student at Healing Arts I studied Anatomy under Patti West, RN, LMT as well as some massage techniques. I have taken 7 CEUs with Natural Options Aromatherapy Seminar and 6 CEUs with William Mitchell, PTA, LMT for a Myofascial Release Therapy Seminar. I have participated in 25.5 hours of field experience during the last 6 months of my massage therapy program. I have given massages to benefit the NAOMI Women’s shelter and the IMPACT Guatemala mission trip. I have given chair massages for employee appreciation days as well as clothes-on massages to women at the Devlac Hall Rehabilitation Center. I enjoyed all the work I and exceeded the 20 hours needed to graduate from the program.My next step once I have received my results is to become certified in Prenatal massage with Nurturing the Mother Pregnancy Massage with Claire Marie Miller. This seminar is coming up in March. I will also be following up this letter with a phone call to speak with you and hopefully arrange a time I can come in and meet with you and maybe discuss an opportunity to work with you.Thank you "

Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:44 am

Board index » Business » Business Issues & Marketing Discussion